Friday, December 27, 2013

Ottoman Cannon and Crew

A few projects have left the painting desk this fall and winter but haven't been blogged.

Here is a 28mm cannon and crew for my Ottoman army.   I have no idea what make the figures and gun are.  Pray let me know if you recognize them.

The paint scheme is blessedly ignorant of any research as to the uniforms of Turkish artillerists.   I've been using blue as the standard for my Ottoman gun carriages, and for these figures red seemed to be a nice contrast.  Besides, you can't go wrong with red when painting gunners, can you?

Long-term readers of this blog may recall that the Ottomans were part of my Resurrected Armies project to mark Easter earlier this year.   These chaps should add a little more heft to my Turks, and give some opportunity to respond to the lashings of all those guns the Russians can field against them.  Looking forward to another game of Maurice to try it out.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice model Padre! Glad to see you increasingly active in the hobby front... we've missed you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracia, Benito. I have missed the company of my friends online. I shall be a better citizen of the blogosphere in 2014, I think.

      Delete
  2. These figures are very nicely finished indeed! I particularly like the suggestion of around the lower hems of the coats that these guys have been on campaign for a considerable while. Would I be correct in supposing you are building up into an 18th century or Napoleonic era Donbas, Bessarabian or Balkans campaign fairly shortly? I would certainly like to see accounts of those!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Ion. The dirt in the lower hems of the gunners was one of those happy flukes that comes with painting sometimes. I was using GW Devlan Mud to shade the red and it was an old pot, very sludgy, and it pooled on the hems. I brushed off as much as I could and liked the final result. Yes, my Turkish army is intended to fight C18th Russians (and maybe, one day, Austrians) in the Donbas and Balkans. I have the Maurice rules but am also anxious to try the 18thC rules you so kindly send me.
      A very happy new year to you and yours, miLord Archduke,
      M

      Delete
    2. I had forgotten about sending that rule set. Let me know how it works out for you.
      Happy New Year and all to you and family
      Ion

      Delete
  3. Thanks Andrew. It's good to be back. You and the other folks in this year's Challenge have inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done set. I'm pretty certain the figures are from the Redoubt 'Renaissance' range. There's only a description in the catalogue (typical for that company), but they match the sculpting style.

    Always fancied a Turkish army myself, but far too lazy to actually get round to it . . .

    ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe you're right, Gary, they must be Redoubt figures. Not sure how they ended up in my lead mountain.
      I looked at the rest of the Redoubt Ottomans, and they look a little early for my purposes, even though I like Redoubt's figures as a rule.

      Delete
  5. Nice work! Really like the blue of the gun carriage.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers